Terra State Community College

Site Search

Veterans Educational Benefits

Terra State Community College students with veteran benefits eligibility through the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) may be certified to receive VA educational benefits by registering with Joyce Spencer, Student Success Mentor – Veterans, in the Office of Admissions and Enrollment Services.

How to Apply For Benefits

If you are a veteran or eligible dependent and wish to enroll, you should:

  1. Contact Eric Steinberger, Registrar – Veterans in the Registrars office.
  2. Complete the VA Application Form for Education Benefits. The VA application form is available online at www.gibill.va.gov or through Admissions and Enrollment Services. This form should be completed before the start of the semester.
  3. Provide a copy of the Veteran's DD214 (Authorization for Separation from Active Duty) or Certificate of Eligibility for Chapter 1606 or 1607.
  4. Indicate your VA claim number on the application, if a prior claim was filed with the VA.
  5. Enroll every term in courses meeting the curriculum requirements in the student's program of study.

Every semester, the Student Success Mentor - Veterans reviews and certifies each veteran for the number of credit hours taken in their approved program.

Change of Program/Objective

If you have used VA benefits in the past and have entitlement remaining, you are able to change your original objective or program of study by completing the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995)at www.gibill.va.gov.

Change of Course Schedule

If you wish to change your course schedules during the semester, you should inform the Student Success Mentor – Veterans immediately so that courses that are part of the VA-approved program can be certified for payment. If you fail to notify us of a change in your schedule, the necessary paperwork may not be completed in time to receive VA benefits for the course.


Veterans students who wish to enroll for classes following a complete withdrawal or lapse in enrollment should contact the Student Success Mentor – Veterans so that proper certification can be made to the VA. If you have been away from Terra State Community College for at least one year, you may need to resubmit an application for admission before re-enrollment can occur.

Responsibilities of Veteran Students

While enrolled in classes at Terra State Community College, you should be sure to:

  • Consult an academic advisor every semester and enroll in courses meeting the curriculum requirements of your program of study;
  • Attend classes regularly and complete course requirements satisfactorily to continue receiving VA benefits;
  • Notify the Veterans Office when you:
    • Register for classes
    • Make a schedule change (add or drop classes)
    • Withdraw completely from classes
    • Stop attending classes on a regular basis
    • Change name, address and/or telephone number
    • Change educational major
    • Have any concerns or questions about VA benefits

It is critical that you communicate regularly with the Student Success Mentor - Veterans, as complete and proper paperwork is required to receive VA benefits. The Student Success Mentor - Veterans should receive a copy of your schedule every semester after you meet with your academic advisor.

Veteran Credit Hour Payment Status

Enrollment status for VA payment matches the College requirements for all students, outlined in the College Catalog.


Credit Hours per Semester VA Payment Status
12 or more Full-time
9 - 11 Three-quarter-time
6 - 8 Half-time
5 or less Less than half-time


For more information on veterans benefits, contact us!

Eric Steinberger

Eric Steinberger
Office: Roy Klay Building, A200-A
Phone: 419.559.2228
Email: esteinberger@terra.edu 

Cancelled Classes

 There are class cancellations for Thursday, November 15, 2018. Click on this link for more information. 

X close