National Center of Excellence in Cyber Defense Designee
Terra State Community College is designated as a National Center of Excellence in Cyber Defense as of 2017
Cybersecurity is a term that is part of everyone's daily life today. In the workplace and at home we are faced with security issues and concerns that can change our lives. Terra State Community College is committed to educating our graduates in the cyber defense field with our state-of-the-art Cyber Center, live virtual labs, industry guest lecturers, cloud computing, and National Cybersecurity Competitions.
Terra State is proud to have a knowledgeable advisory board to keep the curriculum current with industry standards and offers courses which meet industry level certifications to give our students an advantage over other graduates. Terra State is a member of the National CyberWatch Center and our Computer Systems department oversees the Cyber Defense Curriculum.
Cybersecurity Job Potential
Cybersecurity professionals are in high demand in the current job market. According to the 2015 Global Information Security Workforce Study, more than 1.5 million cyber security professionals are needed by 2020.
In such a fast changing industry, students need to be educated on the latest in cyber security techniques and defense mechanisms. To do this, Terra State keeps classes up to date with the latest curriculum changes from NICE (National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education).
The following degrees meet the criteria of being a Cyber Defense Program of Study:
- Associate of Applied Science Systems and Networking Support
- Associate of Applied Science Computer Information Systems
Terra State Values Cybersecurity
As a Champion of Cybersecurity, Terra State has not let this topic go unnoticed to for all students, staff and community members. Many of our courses highlight cybersecurity issues including:
- Office Administration courses highlight identity theft and privacy and security issues online
- Health Information Technology courses highlight privacy and security in regard to medical records and HIPPA
- American Government courses discuss electronic surveillance used in the intelligence community
- Criminal Justice courses discuss technology and cybercrime in law enforcement
- Computer Information courses discuss cybersecurity issues in every class
Community outreach involving Cybersecurity
- Hosted "Cyber-Saints", a course for children grades 5-8 on cyberbullying
- Presented seminars regarding Cyberbullying in the Workplace
- Posted stay safe online tips to out students, faculty, and staff online
To learn more about cybersecurity at Terra State, contact the Technology & Skilled Trades Division.