Veterans Education Benefits & Responsibilities

Terra State Community College students with veteran benefits eligibility through the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) may be certified to receive VA educational benefits.

How to Apply For Benefits

If you are a veteran or eligible dependent and wish to enroll, you should:

  1. Contact the admissions office to speak to a School Certifying Official (SCO) or 419.559.2349.
  2. Complete the VA Application Form for Education Benefits. The VA application form is available online at or through Admissions & Enrollment Services. This form should be completed before the start of the semester.
  3. Provide a copy of the Veteran's Authorization for Separation from Active Duty (DD-214) and Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).
  4. Meet with your advisor to ensure you are meeting the curriculum requirements in your program of study.

Every semester, an SCO reviews and then certifies each veteran for the number of credit hours taken in their approved program.

Change of Program/Objective

If you have used VA benefits in the past and have entitlement remaining, you are able to change your original objective or program of study by completing the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995) at

Change of Course Schedule

If you wish to change your course schedules during the semester, you should inform your an advisor or SCO immediately if you want to make changes to your courses. The VA must be notified of any change in a student's schedule. An SCO will notify the VA of this change, and the student will be notified via email when the change is made at the VA.


Veterans students who wish to enroll for classes following a complete withdrawal or lapse in enrollment should contact an SCO so that proper certification can be made to the VA. If you have been away from Terra State Community College for at least one year, you may need to resubmit an application for admission before re-enrollment can occur.

Responsibilities of Veteran Students

While enrolled in classes at Terra State Community College, you should be sure to:

  • Consult an academic advisor every semester and enroll in courses meeting the curriculum requirements of your program of study;
  • Attend classes regularly and complete course requirements satisfactorily to continue receiving VA benefits;
  • Contact an SCO when you want to:Register for classes
    • Make a schedule change (add or drop classes)
    • Withdraw completely from classes
    • Stop attending classes on a regular basis
    • Change name, address and/or telephone number
    • Change educational major
    • Have any concerns or questions about VA benefits

It is critical that you communicate regularly with the SCO, as complete and proper paperwork is required to receive VA benefits. The SCO should receive a copy of your schedule every semester after you meet with your academic advisor.

Veteran Credit Hour Payment Status

Enrollment status for VA payment matches the College requirements for all students, outlined in the college catalog.

Credit hours per semester VA Payment Status
12 or more Full time
9-11 Three-quarter time
6-8 Half time
5 or less Less than half time