Transfer Student Admissions

Making the Transfer Process Easy

If you have prior coursework from another college or university or the military, you maybe eligible to transfer your credits toward your degree or certificate at Terra State!

Follow the steps below to get started:

  • Schedule a visit and appointment with your Admissions Advisor
  • Apply for admission as a transfer student
  • Request transcripts from your high school or GED program and any other colleges or universities you previously attended and send them to our Record's Office (This is vital to the transfer process as all transcripts must be evaluated by our Records Office)
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Take a placement assessment, if neccesary

More Information About Transfer Credits

There are a few key things to take note of when considering transferring to Terra State:

  • You must complete at least one fourth of the credits required for your major and one fourth of your total credits at Terra State to earn an associate's degree or certificate from Terra State.
  • In order for your transcripts to be evaluated, they must be official: the transcript must come directly from the previously attended college in a sealed envelope. Grade reports, diplomas, etc. are not considered official transcripts. Additionally, any transcript that has been previously opened before being submitted to the Record's Office is not considered official.
  • Not all credits transfer, but we do our best to help you get the most credit for your previous work. Once your transcript has been submitted, our Records department will evaluate it to see what courses are eligible to earn transfer credit. Transfer credit is generally awarded when coursework is similar to a course offered at Terra State. In some cases, students may be asked to submit copies of syllabi from previously taken courses to determine appropriate transferability.
  • Once your transcript has been evaluated, you will receive a letter confirming all the transfer credit you have been awarded. At this point, you will be able to meet with an academic and career advisor to determine if you need to complete a placement assessment.