Prior Learning Assessment

What is Prior Learning Assessment?

Terra State Community College believes in meeting students where they are in life and providing a path to earning college credit for what they’ve already learned and achieved. To this end, Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) may be an option for some students. PLA is credit awarded for demonstrated relevant college-level education acquired through nontraditional schooling, work or other life experience.

Through PLA, Subject Matter Experts evaluate how prior experiences might translate to college-level knowledge and how that knowledge may equate to college credit. In order to be deemed course credit-worthy, the experience(s) and documentation must demonstrate that the student has met the course learning outcomes identified in the syllabus for the course in question.

Types of PLA

Student should meet with their advisor, or email to discuss options for types of PLA.

Have questions?