National Center of Excellence in Cyber Defense Designee
Cybersecurity at Terra State Community College
Terra State Community College is committed to educating our graduates in the cyber defense field with our state-of-the-art Cyber Center, live virtual labs, industry guest lecturers, cloud computing, and National Cybersecurity Competitions. Terra State has two degree programs that cover cybersecurity:
- Associate of Applied Science Systems and Networking Support
- Program of Study Validated: 07/01/2017 - In Re-Validation Cycle
- Associate of Applied Science Computer Information Systems
- Program of Study Validated: 03/27/2023
The curriculum in each of these programs is mapped to the National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security Center of Academic Excellence (CAE) knowledge units in cyber defense. In 2017 Terra State was designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (CAE-CD 2Y). The goal of theprogram is to reduce vulnerabilities in our national information infrastructure by promoting higher education and expertise in cyber defense.
Cyber Center Contact:Haley Crabtree, Professor, POC 419-559-2314 firstname.lastname@example.org Faculty: Haley Crabtree, Professor Michael Daigneault, Assistant Professor Adjunct Faculty: Scott Gilbert Chris Kozlowski Administrative Assistant: Yvonne Hammer, Alternate POC email@example.com
Terra State is proud to have a knowledgeable advisory board to keep the curriculum current with industry standards and offers courses which meet industry level certifications to give our students an advantage over other graduates.
2023 Advisory Board Members:
Dr. Loren Wagener, DIA, CISSP
Cybersecuity Advisor, LJW Cyber Consulting
Floyd Collins Instructor , Digital Media Technologies Vanguard Tech Center
Troy WilderMuth Vice President, Director of Manufactoring, CIFT
Adam Amrine Staff Software Engineer
Cybersecurity Job Potential
Cybersecurity professionals are in high demand in the current job market. Check out this cybersecurity supply/demand heat map.
According to the data presented, as of May 2023 there are 18,504 total job openings in Ohio in the field of cybersecurity. The top job titles include cybersecurity analyst, penetration and vulnerability tester, cybersecurity consultant, and cybersecurity manager.
Terra State Values Cybersecurity
Students will find cybersecurity is a topic discussed in most degree paths at Terra State. Listed below are cybersecurity activities (present and past) available to students at the institution and beyond:
- National Cyber League (Fall 2023): Terra State will be starting a new cyber league competition in the Fall of 2023, all students welcome. Sign ups will go out in August at the beginning of Fall 2023 semester. Click Here to Learn More about the National Cyber League Competitions. (Contact: Haley Crabtree, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- (Past) Terra State Students place 2nd amongst Community Colleges in 2021 in the NSA Code Breaker Challenge
Listed below are security policies and practices at Terra State. These apply to all staff, students, faculty, and community members that use technology or interact with confidential information at Terra.
Terra State offers community members many opportunities to learn more and engage with our staff and students on topics related to cybersecurity. Below are present and past opportunitities.
- Community Professionals can sign up for our Introduction to Cybersecurity course online, self-paced.
- Community Professionals can sign up to take courses with our Kern Center to earn industry level Certifications which include: Certified Premises Cabling Technician, Certified Fiber Optics Technician, Cisco Certied Network Associate (CCNA), CompTia A+ Certification. Click Here to Learn More!
The resources listed below can be used to learn more about cybersecurity:
- National Cybersecurity Alliance
- Cybersecurity and Infrastrcuture Security Agency
- Ohio Attorney General - Cybersecurity
- Ohio Cyber Collaboration Committee (OC3)
- National Cyberwatch Center
May/June National News:
- FBI warns against using public phone charging stations
- There's a chronic shortage of talent in cybersecurity, Microsoft says
May/June Local New: